Wednesday 26 September 2012

The pain of a long distance runner

It never ceases to amaze me how time goes so quickly. It is over a week since my last blog and I have returned to the carb diet with vengeance. It is a shame that I have to eat to much of a good thing. However the good news is that I am continuing to run.

On Thursday I took my son in law Pete for my favourite 4 mile run. It was a good time and I pushed myself after the run with Dutch a few days earlier. I feel there is a need to increase my pace, not only to burn the calories but to reduce the time out on the road.

Then on Monday 24 Sept I did a nine mile run. It was on this cold windy day that I had my first experience of a chaffed nipple and man was it painful. Why do men have nipples anyway. I blame the soreness on the  Ugandan football top I was wearing. I bought it in a market in Jinga Uganda last year and I was promised that it was a genuine Adidas shirt.

Apart from the sore nips I also had a recurrence of the dreaded JT's. It was a difficult run as as well as the pain in the chest I was stung, by nettles, in places that one should not be stung.

I was pleased that after the nine mile jog I did stretches and the next day was able to do a brisk 3 mile walk. I carried shopping from town so was unable to jog.

 Tonight I will do a run. A quick four miles. I haven't applied for the Bedford Half Marathon. This is something I must do prior to the next blog

22.39 hrs

Just completed my 5 mile run in 50 mins. That is, according to my calculations 10 min miles. Which is not that bad. My time was reduced as I helped a teenager who was riding his brand new scooter (mod like) and dropped it going round a corner. I heard a bang and ran to his assistance, actually ran quicker. He seemed more concerned about scratching his bike than anything else, so after a few words of wisdom, don't corner too fast or else you'll fall, I continued on my jog. There is little likelihood of my cornering too fast.


I need to change the title of my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Not too sure if anyone is reading these bloggs but if you are can you add a comment - if you want. thanks

    ReplyDelete