Thursday 4 October 2012

Strengthening the Core and Disappointing News

As I am serious about completing this marathon I have decided to take the advice of my Jogging Guru and do some regular exercises to strengthen the core of this aging body of mine. ( I am 52 and remain determined to be jogging cycling and even kayaking till I am physically unable to do so.)


Like me you may be wondering why it is important to strengthen the core.

 ' Core exercises train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen to work in harmony. This leads to better balance and stability, whether on the playing field or in daily activities. In fact, most sports and other physical activities depend on stable core muscles.'



And this is why I have bought the exercise ball. I will do a quick warm up with a little bit of skipping, as recommended by another fit friend, and then roll around on the ball.



The London Marathon is on April 21st, the good news is that I am rest day, the bad news is that I am nights on the Saturday. I will finish at 7 am so hopefully I will be able to get the day off.



So my cunning exercise plan is  - 40 mins exercise and then a walk into town. A brisk walk and hopefully this will all help prepare this body for running without injury. Wifey has left me for a few days to go on holiday with her parents. The bad news is that my eating has gone to pot. To protect me She lovingly hid the tin of chocolates we kept for visitors. 

After much effort I found the tin of roses and then regretted my actions. I overdosed on coffee creams and went into a chocolate induced coma.


14.45

Whilst rotating my hips the mobile rang and it was H from the HDA. She was very apologetic but she informed me I did not get a place in the Marathon. I am surprised at how disappointed I am. I assumed, because of my unique fund raising to date I would have got a slot but I assume the spaces went to those who have a track record of raising funds and completing the course. 

I could go for the Luton Marathon. It is considerably easier to get to and there is no pressure on raising funds but it does not feel me with enthusiasm or passion. Bit like Luton - does anyone get excited about going to Luton.

http://www.lutonmarathon.org.uk/

I think my knees are grateful that I have not got the pressure to raise funds as they remain in a slightly swollen state and after the exertions of skipping and the exercise ball they do ache

Oh well, what do I do now. Give it some thought and get back to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment