Thursday 18 October 2012

 
 Cross Training (CT) does not get much better than this, kayaking in Suffolk. On Saturday 13 October I was pleased to join a group of paddlers kayaking down rivers, up rivers and in the sea in Suffolk. It was one of the best trips I have done. I did little to organize but simply paddled from Ipswich to Felixstowe, along the coast and then up the river Deben to some small village. It was beautiful and by the time I had finished I was absolutely knackered. 

The last six miles we paddled up stream, assisted by the tide, through spectacular rainbows and mudflats. There were no villages just the occasional church and I am sure the scenery had not changed in centuries. My poor left shoulder was aching and the next day my muscles were complaining. We did 26 miles and it was good to say to fellow joggers that I had done 26 miles on Saturday and let them assume I had been running rather than paddling.

Cross training is very important, so my running schedule states as I keep exercising but resting my poor old legs and in particular my right knee. CT reduces the risk of overuse injuries and so articles say, makes me run faster and leaves me less prone to injury. 

This is a good thing as yesterday I did an 8 mile run and my knee was suffering. Not painful when running but after the run it was rather swollen. I need some advice as to whether a knee support is worthwhile. I can also blame wifey for aggravating the injury as I was waiting for her to return home so I could use the car to go to work. She did not return so at the last minute I donned my new aldi running top and leggings and ran at speed the mile to work. It improved my speed training but I am concerned about the knee.

I need to mention the 8 mile was slightly different as it was done in stages. I ran to the hospital to see my friend Mick Billingham, mentioned in earlier posts and is the reason why I am training for the marathon. Then I ran to the church to do admin stuff and then to Aldi to purchase the running gear and the final leg was the last 3 miles home.

I also realized the impact of the wind on one's running. The first half I felt good and fast and put this down to my new mental strength and training. On the return trip I felt the force of the wind and my optimism for my new ability reduced as my feel good factor was more to the strength of the wind rather than my athleticism. Still I am improving and do really enjoy running. But I am concerned about the knee. 

The running gear is good but there is a problem. When I wear it I look I know what I am doing. It reminds me when I bought golf shoes. (Many years ago I briefly took up golf) When you wear the right kit there is an expectation that you are reasonably good. Whilst I jogged in my old shorts and tee shirt there was no pressure. Now I wear the body hugging clothing my style and speed must match my kit. No pressure then!




No comments:

Post a Comment