Saturday 27 October 2012

Swollen Knees and blowing noses

Time is moving forward and my running plan is not as disciplined as it once was. I believe the feeling of, 'I have so much to do I do not have time to run' is the main cause. Which is nonsense because if I am not running in reality I spend my time sitting in front of the computer surfing the net. I do have paperwork and house and garden sorting to do but the curse of procrastination prevents me from being that successful in my time management.

Also the thoughts of doing a long run is quite daunting. According to my plan I should be doing a 14 mile run but I am way behind this. My next goal will be 10 miles but I have another problem. My right knee just does not feel right. It is swollen and although does not cause problems whilst running when I return and complete my stretches it does ache and feel funny. The question is should I go to the doctor but being a bloke this is out of the question. I will on the advice of another running colleague do some knee exercises. 



I have been for a few 4/5 mile runs and even done some posing photos to record the autumn and me jogging in my aldi running bottoms. I cannot wear these to run to work as my locker is unfortunately in an office off the control room and walking through the call handlers, mostly women, is too hard for me to do. I bought the medium size bottoms and they are a tadge too small. Hopefully I will lose a little more weight and they will be more decent. I remain faithful to my old shorts that suit a soon to be middle aged man.

Autumn (fall) is definitely here. I have been working, keeping the Queen's peace,  the last two nights. 
And it has been so so cold with Arctic winds sweeping across the country. It has been 2 degrees with a windchill factor and yet girls wander around the town centre wearing hardly anything. I was still cold with my numerous layers and reluctantly got out of the car whenever people wanted to fight each other.

And the impact of cold weather is of course the runny nose. My next goal is not only the 10 mile run but learn how to blow my nose effectively whilst running. Inspired by a running friend who was able to remove the mucus with a minimum of fuss and quite discretely I gave it a go and made an awful mess. I would have looked like a toddler with a cold. But I am determined to learn as one does not want to keep using ones sleeve whilst running. 

I even searched the internet for help

http://www.madetorun.com/running-resources/quick-tips/blowing-your-nose-while-running/

Could do with some more advice. And lastly the field I keep running through should be looking more autumnal but the farmer has not plowed the field. He, or she, has planted some crop under the wheat and the trees at the far end have not changed colour. Very disappointing as I would like to do a calender next year recording this one spot through the year and I want it to look pretty and autumnal not a cold summers day.




No comments:

Post a Comment