Thursday 16 January 2014

365 - A photo a day

20 January


A portrait of a son of a friend. It was very sunny so I used the reflector to prevent shadows on the face. It is a shame because if I had ensured all the sun was blocked and turned the toy so its face was showing then a reasonable photo would have been good.

No editing apart from a crop to remove the overexposed area, and some removal of spots and crumbs

I did try it in black and white but the face became washed out and boring. A great toddler - friendly and content which I think is captured.

I am starting to try and use photo editing including layers to see how I can improve my knowledge and the final result.



19 January 2014

After a few months I thought it was time to get back on, not in, the water. The sun was setting, the sky was clear there was a good opportunity for a good silhouette of a kayaker on the river. Unfortunately by the time we got on the water the sun was set

I used the waterproof camera on programme setting and I could not change the setting wearing my anglers gloves.

So below is the shot taken with little control. The only editing was to reduce the shadows. The colours were not enhanced.

The image was cropped using the rule of thirds.

Other pics were taken but the light was not good and so they were very grainy.


A good time paddling, one day I would like to get a waterproof box for the SLR and see what I can do.













18 January 2014

The last few days have been tiring with working nights and not sleeping. So to celebrate the end of something, not too sure what, we had cheese and biscuits.

I have never really had port before and I am now a fan. It is very rich and comforting. The camera was on a small depth of field and focused on the label to make it more interesting and that is it.

The object in front of the Port is a block of stilton cheese. Possibly the best cheese in the world.

http://www.stiltoncheese.co.uk/

Some have described the relationship of me and wifey as that as stilton and port. Like eggs and bacon we naturally compliment one another. It is a shame that wifey sees herself as the Port.

Please visit the Stilton website - some interesting photographs that I may use as inspiration in photographing food.

I will try and do something more interesting tomorrow.




17 January 2014



















16 January 2014 

Is it possible to publish on this blog a photo a day, to record the year - from 16 January 2014 to 15 January 2015?

It will be a challenge and at the end of the year I will be able to do a photo book which will surely be a delight to many. Ideally I will use my Nikon cameras but if I struggle then my smart phone will have to assist. I was tempted to use some old photos and pretend they were done today but being a man of integrity I know that would be wrong and wanting a good night, or days, sleep I will seek to publish on this blog a photo taken on the day listed.

This morning I walked to Tesco's to get a skipping rope as somehow over christmas I lost mine. Hard to believe but its true. I have been skipping to warm up before kettle bell exercises but after seeing some videos on youtube I have been inspired to become an excellent skipper.


Unfortunately Tesco did not have a rope, however I did end up spending £10 on stuff I had no intention to buy. I decided to walk to Tesco's rather than run and I took the camera and tried to take some good pictures of people, dogs and vegetation in the woods as I walked to the store. All have been deleted and resting in the trash waiting for the click that sends them into oblivion. The below pic is the only one remaining. It was taken at speed. I saw the bike approaching. I knew the camera was on shutter priority and with a panning motion took the picture. 


In photoshop elements I sharpened cropped and removed the colour. I still have to learn how to use layers in the photo editing. I do keep practising and watching youtube clips but I am a very slow learner.

I will be taking the Nikon V 1 on my run tomorrow so there will still be photos taken on my regular runs.




No comments:

Post a Comment